2017's What fiction or non-fiction book are you reading?

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
If you like mysteries, you might like the Inspector McLean series by James Oswald. There's a bit of supernatural going on, but he won't admit it. It's a traditional mystery set in Edinburgh. I've read the first 3 or 4 and plan to continue at some point, but my TBR list is getting out of control.

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
If you like mysteries, you might like the Inspector McLean series by James Oswald. There's a bit of supernatural going on, but he won't admit it. It's a traditional mystery set in Edinburgh. I've read the first 3 or 4 and plan to continue at some point, but my TBR list is getting out of control.
I will check it out. Sounds like the Phil Rickman series I really enjoy which take place on the Welsh border.

Alice Sabo

If you have Netflix, Hinterland is a dark mystery series filmed in Wales. The scenery is stunning. And the accent is so different. I really enjoyed it. I'll have to check out Phil Rickman.

Darth Tater

Alice Sabo

Thanks! Just grabbed a copy.

Bierschneeman

just finished WAR AND PEACE~Leo Tolstoy

this book is why I haven't been reading as much lately. depending on printing it's between 990 and 2000 pages (font size).

far from the best book by Tolstoy, but it's still a Tolstoy so that means it's better than 90 % of books.

this book is daunting and it splits it's time between chapters giving you historical insight. the chapters dedicated on story mostly go over endless balls, posturing, princes emperors and nobles galavanting among the rich lifestyles above the peasantry, or napoleans view that he is everyone's savior. but also deals with the war and treaties themselves.

The story really starts getting cooking at book 9, by book 10 the war is in full swing
a garrison playing cards getting drunk and joking as bullets whiz by, cannonballs land in the infantry behind them and the line of musket glow gets closer and closer reflecting off their faces. then deals with prisoners, executions, and death. dealing withbdestruction,
the end perfectly deals with aftereffects.

The epilogues take up close to 20% of this large book, and it's not worth it . imagine after return of the king lotr when the actual credits have rolled and you feel satisfied its over and all the loose ends are tied, but then they add an hour of watching Sam's children and life in the shire 7 years later.

9/10

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
just finished WAR AND PEACE~Leo Tolstoy

this book is why I haven't been reading as much lately. depending on printing it's between 990 and 2000 pages (font size).

far from the best book by Tolstoy, but it's still a Tolstoy so that means it's better than 90 % of books.

this book is daunting and it splits it's time between chapters giving you historical insight. the chapters dedicated on story mostly go over endless balls, posturing, princes emperors and nobles galavanting among the rich lifestyles above the peasantry, or napoleans view that he is everyone's savior. but also deals with the war and treaties themselves.

The story really starts getting cooking at book 9, by book 10 the war is in full swing
a garrison playing cards getting drunk and joking as bullets whiz by, cannonballs land in the infantry behind them and the line of musket glow gets closer and closer reflecting off their faces. then deals with prisoners, executions, and death. dealing withbdestruction,
the end perfectly deals with aftereffects.

The epilogues take up close to 20% of this large book, and it's not worth it . imagine after return of the king lotr when the actual credits have rolled and you feel satisfied its over and all the loose ends are tied, but then they add an hour of watching Sam's children and life in the shire 7 years later.

9/10
I remember disliking the epilogue as well.

This is one of those classics that fully lives up to its reputation. The first part of the book is sometimes a bit slow (but no less interesting for that), but in the second half it's a real page-turner.

Darth Tater

The Emperor’s Tomb by Steve Berry. The second (and maybe the last of his Cotton Malone thrillers I’ll read). Not a real page turner but pretty good.

I learned a lot about the Chinese terra-cotta army which I had never even heard of. It’s amazing that they made thousands and thousands of those 400 lb. figures in so short a time span and I don’t think any two were exactly alike. China will not even dig up the emperor’s actual tomb room. Apparently, the entire underground tomb spreads for 21 square miles And they’ve been on uncovering it since discovered four decades ago.

The egotistical idiot king was so obsessed with eternal life that he was swallowing mercury every day to prolong it. He lived to the ripe old age of 39 as a result. So much for the first emperor of China. Poetic justice.

Why was the short story prequel to that book located at the end? Seems backward.

Bierschneeman

finished
tender is the night~f scott Fitzgerald

I read this is supposed to be even better than the great Gatsby. as a mirror for Fitzgeralds alcoholism it touches on a lot more emotional mess, and realism. i am undecided on which is better, but they are both damn good.

10/10

Darth Tater

The Long Way Home. Louise Penny book 10. Broken recod. Great series. Highly recommend reading them in order. The town you wished you lived in. The usage of french sentences and descriptions of gourmet foods get on my nerves a bit but the characters are so...human...and the ongoing side storylines (some spanning several books) are what makes this series great.

This was probably the weakest of the series. Basically, one of those side storylines became the focus of the book. That was fine but it just seemed like there were some highly unlikely and improbable leaps of intuition going on here. You didn’t even know there was a crime until it happened almost at the very end. Surprise ending was good.