Book like Swiss Family Robinson - The survival aspect

I have been searching high and low for a book like Swiss Family Robinson. Just surviving and thriving with basically nothing from the modern world.

The closest i have come to such a book are post apocalypse books. However, i don't like zombies all that much. I like farming, foraging and such things. :)

Would appreciate so very much if you could suggest some books.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/26985.Outdoor_Survival_Fantasy

I'm sure that like me you've already read many of these and I don't think many of them really get into survival. It's an area I also like as an outdoorsman. I would pick The Ruins of Gorlan. I haven't read it but it's about a 15-year old becoming a Ranger and all the skills required for that. And it's fantasy.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I have been searching high and low for a book like Swiss Family Robinson. Just surviving and thriving with basically nothing from the modern world.

The closest i have come to such a book are post apocalypse books. However, i don't like zombies all that much. I like farming, foraging and such things. :)

Would appreciate so very much if you could suggest some books.
I have the same fascination with this topic. I see kenubrions list focusses on fantasy. I've got some speculative fiction recommendations for you that you might like.

Earth Abides - this is one of the best post-apocalyptic books I've ever read. No zombies. It focusses on a guy in the San Fransisco Bay area who, after the world is rid of most of humanity because of a virulent disease, tries to rebuild civilization. There is no electrical power and over the years ammo for guns runs out. We follow the life of the main character as he tries to develop a farming commune, trade with other communities, and deal with diseases.

The Postman - this one focusses on the eponymous postman as he travels around post-apocalyptic America. No farming, but a lot of survivalling as he outruns the "bad guys", and tries to hook up with the "good guys".

The Stand - one of my favorite books out there. A disease sweeps across the world, taking most of humanity and civilization with it. A group of people are called on a quest to prevent the bad guys from wreaking havoc on the slowly rebuilding society. It's a bit paranormal here and there, but the biggest chunk deals with people traversing the States after the holocaust and rebuilding society.

Edit: And how can I forget The Road - it's the story of a man and his son as they try to survive on a barren earth after a nuclear Holocaust. It's a stark, gripping, emotional tale. The man and his son scrounge together a living by scavenging mostly. Very good book. Don't read if you have a tendency to become depressed easily.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
The Postman - this one focusses on the eponymous postman as he travels around post-apocalyptic America. No farming, but a lot of survivalling as he outruns the "bad guys", and tries to hook up with the "good guys".
Just avoid the movie based on this because it was pretty awful (even with the Tom Petty cameo).

thanks so much!
I have read Earth Abides too. One of my favorites as well :)

The Postman, The Stand and The Road has been on my list for a while now. Didn't get around to reading because it lacks a key element 'farming'. Haha. Talk about picky readers.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about Hugh Howey's post apocalyptic trilogy, starting with Wool. Humanity has retired to huge underground silo's following an apocalyptic event. It's got the farming you're after, plus it's got action, suspense and a good set of characters. I enjoyed the trilogy on the whole.

And thinking a little outside the box, Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson might fit with your requirements? It's about setting up a colony on Mars, and there's a real focus on the psychological impact this has on the colonisers, as well as the various challenges that went hand in hand with the colonisation. I've not read the sequels, but as a standalone I don't think this book suffers.

Thanks TomTB. Hugh Howey's post apocalyptic trilogy sounds exactly like what i am looking for. Im downloading it on ibooks as i write this post. Double joy as the first book is free. Yayyyy

i think i will keep the red mars on my list.

Thanks once again for the Hugh Howey suggestion. Cant wait to read it. :)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Something along the same line: The Martian by Andy Weir. It's about an astronaut who gets stranded on Mars. He has to use his ingenuity to survive. It's got farming, terra-forming and -in my opinion- great humour.

Another recommendation inspired by Tom is the series that starts with Parable of the Sower. It's about an African-American (this is important in the book) and her family trying to survive on their compound in a US that slowly devolves into economic (and therefore societal) chaos.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I had forgotten a Louis L'Amour book that is all about winter survival. Last of the Breed is about a Navaho US fighter pilot who goes down in the remote Siberian wilderness and has to survive the winter conditions as well as the Russian military trying to capture him. Great book that incorporates his ancestry of survival off the land as well as his military training. All winter survival techniques all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Breed-L...=1486740983&sr=1-1&keywords=last+of+the+breed

Last edited: