Do you prefer physical or digital books?

Do you prefer Ebooks or physical books?

• Ebook

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Physical

Votes: 21 55.3%

• Total voters

sopranosfan

Journeyed there and back again
I am curious how many prefer each format. I am almost a complete physical book buyer and only own a couple digital books.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would depend on the genre for me, so I'll not vote. I prefer Sci-Fi in ebook form, and fantasy in physical form.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I prefer ebooks, regardless of the genre. The only exceptions are cookbooks and art books.
One reason is because in my case, kindle is very light, and hardbacks are uncomfortable to hold for 5-6 hours if I go on my long reading sessions and I usually do.
Second reason is the search function. If I remember a quote, or a character or whatever, finding it in an ebook is a breeze.
Third, I like the fact that kindle is light and I can carry it everywhere, while paper books, especially fantasy door-stoppers are not.
Fourth, if I read in public place I like the fact that people can't see what I'm reading. That's just how I like it.
Fifth, and last I can think for now, I like the fact that I can change font size on kindle. My eyes get tired really fast if the print is on the smallish side.

ofer

Used to be a paper book kind of guy. Changed my mind completely when I moved last time. I own more than 250 paper books (and a few tens of professional books, you know, the hard-cover ones that weight a ton each), and it was a pain to pack them, unpack them, dismantling the book closet, putting it back togethrer, and all that. Not to mention the extra $$$ it cost.

As far as I can see the main drawback in ebooks is that maps look really bad and sometime it takes longer then on regular books to find a specific page, so the only physical books I buy are the Lonely Planet guides.

Alucard

Staff member
As far as I can see the main drawback in ebooks is that maps look really bad
If the maps are important for the series like ASOIAF for example, I always look them up online. Regardless of whether I read paper or ebook. They just look better and more readable on my PC.

epicfantasyfreak

I like digital for novels just fine, but am just fine with physical as well, so I don't really have a preference - I'll also refrain from voting. For other books, especially the larger format ones or those heavy with pictures and diagrams (like a lot of history books), I prefer physical. Ereaders are utterly incapable of displaying such books, and tablets still aren't there yet, in terms of power and/or screen size. I've got this book on the history of weapons throughout the world that is 10 x 13 and loaded with photos of each type of weapon, or a world history book that is 11 x 15 and loaded with maps and a continuous timeline that runs the width of the bottom of each page - can you imagine trying to read those things on a tablet? That would be a nightmare.

Boreas

Staff member
I've been using my Kindle almost exclusively since I got it a few months ago. It's just very, very convenient to carry so many books on a slim little device. I still find paper books more aesthetically pleasing. There's something about a tangible book that doesn't transfer to electronic form. In e-form, I especially lean towards fiction, though I have some non-fiction works on my Kindle, too. If it's a text book, or any book that I want to take notes from, then I still prefer physical books because I like to be able to underline sentences or mark paragraphs with a pencil (I would do this to a paperback, not a hardback). I know you can also easily mark sections of a book on Kindle, but I find the act of physically underling or marking more conducive to my ability to recall. The other good feature of the Kindle is the dictionary. So much more convenient than it's physical counterpart. Also, if I really like a book that I've initially read in e-book form, then I'll try to get it in hardback form (or in paperback, if that was how it was initially released). And the authors that I know and love...I'll buy their physical books as well.

I'll refrain from voting, too.

Fourth, if I read in public place I like the fact that people can't see what I'm reading.
That's never bothered me, even with cheesy covers. There have been some brief conversations that have started with strangers when they've seen some strange SF/F cover or title that I've been carrying, but none of these interactions were ever awkward.

tom.pace.315

Philosophizes with Kellhus
It seems as if digital is winning out almost exclusively. I prefer to read digital; however, at the same time I feel like I have to put a copy in my "library" so buy paper copies and usually end up reading those. More of a physical collection collection thing I guess. I'll spend hours at a time just hanging out in my library flipping back through books I've read. Which u could do more easily with digital. Idk, I'm weird. I enjoy a physical book that I can put on my bookshelves and people see when they come over

Boreas

Staff member
I'll spend hours at a time just hanging out in my library flipping back through books I've read. Which u could do more easily with digital. Idk, I'm weird.
Not weird, at all. Or, if it is, then I'm in the same camp as you. I've spent countless hours over the years going over my collection of books and comics and just rereading small parts (with some of the more interesting, independent comics, I would sometimes read the letters section because of some of the weird shit people used to send in and also for some of the pretty insightful comments).

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I know you can also easily mark sections of a book on Kindle, but I find the act of physically underling or marking more conducive to my ability to recall.
If you mark too many sections of a book on Kindle, the response time starts to get REALLY slow. There's a text file in there that's storing all your notes -- for every book -- in the same file, in roughly the order you made the notes. I think when the file size reaches a certain point, it just gets unworkable. I used to highlight passages in there if I wanted to mention them in a review, but now I just don't. I should probably clear out the whole file and maybe things would run more smoothly?

Boreas

Staff member
If you mark too many sections of a book on Kindle, the response time starts to get REALLY slow. There's a text file in there that's storing all your notes -- for every book -- in the same file, in roughly the order you made the notes. I think when the file size reaches a certain point, it just gets unworkable. I used to highlight passages in there if I wanted to mention them in a review, but now I just don't. I should probably clear out the whole file and maybe things would run more smoothly?
Interesting. I've not highlighted any passages from any of the books I've read on Kindle, yet. The most I've done is bookmarked a few spots that I wanted to refer back to. I'm curious how slow my Kindle will get (I've got a Paperwhite) once I start highlighting - I'll start doing this for the next few books I read and see how slow the device starts to get.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Interesting. I've not highlighted any passages from any of the books I've read on Kindle, yet. The most I've done is bookmarked a few spots that I wanted to refer back to. I'm curious how slow my Kindle will get (I've got a Paperwhite) once I start highlighting - I'll start doing this for the next few books I read and see how slow the device starts to get.
I may be an excessive highlighter (I also have a Paperwhite). The actual reading experience doesn't slow down, it's just the highlighting/note-making part that gets slow. As in, it starts to take more than a few seconds for the menu to pop up once you highlight words.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Digital. I prefer physical for professional books and Kindle or audio for everything else. I don't recall the last time I read a physical copy of a fantasy book... several years I think. I have a great kindle paperwhite so I can read in bed without keeping my wife up with the lamp being on, the battery lasts for weeks, and I have over 100 books on it.

tom.pace.315

Digital. Ever since I had to convert the library into the baby's room. Now, I simply love the convenience of ebooks and the space an ereader saves.
So funny! !!! 4 months ago I converted my library into a nursery also. I moved everything down to the basement though. Still LOVE having physical books that I can collect and put on display.

TCSimpson

Might as well be a Malazan regular
So funny! !!! 4 months ago I converted my library into a nursery also. I moved everything down to the basement though. Still LOVE having physical books that I can collect and put on display.
I had to get rid of most of mine. Just kept certain ones, like the entire WOT series. Considered the basement but glad I didn't go that path. Hurricane Sandy wiped out my basement and part of my first floor. I would have cried if my books had been down there.

tom.pace.315

I had to get rid of most of mine. Just kept certain ones, like the entire WOT series. Considered the basement but glad I didn't go that path. Hurricane Sandy wiped out my basement and part of my first floor. I would have cried if my books had been down there.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Congrats on the baby though!

TCSimpson

Might as well be a Malazan regular
I'm so sorry to hear that. Congrats on the baby though!
Thanks! :) Was rough and an experience I'll never forget. Walking through waist high water with my daughter on my shoulders in Brooklyn, New York. I would have never thought it possible. Funny thing is, I'm originally from Barbados in the Caribbean, and have been through several strong hurricanes, where roofs got ripped off etc, but never had such an experience. Go figure.

Alucard

Staff member
That's never bothered me, even with cheesy covers. There have been some brief conversations that have started with strangers when they've seen some strange SF/F cover or title that I've been carrying, but none of these interactions were ever awkward.
I'm a very private person. And I don't particularly care for strangers interrupting my reading. I hate answering their questions. When I'm reading, I want to be left alone, not meet new people through meaningless questions and chit chat.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I'm a very private person. And I don't particularly care for strangers interrupting my reading. I hate answering their questions. When I'm reading, I want to be left alone, not meet new people through meaningless questions and chit chat.
Happens a bit less now, but when I got my first Kindle this happened way more than if I had a regular book in my hand. On the bus or eating lunch, someone would always go "Oooh is that the kindle? How do you like it?" and then I was in a conversation with somebody about the device, not books or whatnot.