Do you read more than one book at a time?

Fiction Fan 101

A farm boy with a sword
I can only seem to manage it if I'm reading a nonfiction (usually in the morning), and a fiction (in the evening, I think by the time my brain needs to escape from the day :)

Right now, reading a Deepak Chopra book and one called Fantastic Fable of Peter Able on Kindle. Or, I guess I just finished that one (which I LOVED - read it!), sooo............ any good fiction recommendations for escaping after a long day?

Anti_Quated

Journeyed there and back again
I juggle three to four at a time if I'm feeling really animated and effervescent, otherwise two at a time, usually a balance of two quite diverse genres (non-fiction musings on warfare and military leadership paired with a fanciful romp through Oscar Wilde or some such). Paradoxically, you find parallels in the most unexpected and unanticipated of places.

Mohammed Al Mulla

Owns a Ring of Power
any good fiction recommendations for escaping after a long day?
If you are looking for a single book, I recommend The Monument for Ian Graham.. if you are interested in long series.. go for the Drenai Saga for David Gemmell (7 Books), otherwise a medium series (4 Books).. i recommend the Regante Saga from David Gemmell.. you want a real piece of work.. then it is the Troy Saga for Gemmell.. ^^

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are looking for a single book, I recommend The Monument for Ian Graham.. if you are interested in long series.. go for the Drenai Saga for David Gemmell (7 Books), otherwise a medium series (4 Books).. i recommend the Regante Saga from David Gemmell.. you want a real piece of work.. then it is the Troy Saga for Gemmell.. ^^
Oh, I didn't realise you were a Gemmell fan!

Anti_Quated

Legend was great, but I never read past it. I appreciated that Gemmell noted it was typical of any writer's first novel, flawed in aspects, naive, and earnest, but that he nonetheless cherished it as a remarkable work and if I recall the interview correctly stated it was his favourite composition. You never forget your first, if you'll excuse the colloquial aphorism.

MrMarbles

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
Seems like a good mix of answers here.

In the past I only read 1 book at a time, but the older I get the more I read concurrently. At this time I am reading 5 books.

alicia

Warded demons with Arlen
I think of reading multiple books like watching episodes of different programmes on television. I can't read just one book at a time. I need a break to visit a different world. I try to keep a balance of different genres going so noting gets confused.

MrMarbles

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I think of reading multiple books like watching episodes of different programmes on television. I can't read just one book at a time. I need a break to visit a different world. I try to keep a balance of different genres going so noting gets confused.
Yup. Pretty much how I feel.

wakarimasen

I read one paper fiction book, listen to one fiction audiobook and flick between two or three factual things at the same time. I rarely read non-fiction all the way through or in a single sitting (without picking up something else).

Roopesh Agarwal

Possibly a Darkfriend
Yes I used to do that when I was student I used to open 3, 4 books at a time and read from all, grab the ideas and learn the different views so the habit is with me now also. I am so choosy that when I went to any book shop it took around 3 to 4 hours in just selecting a single book but i have now started prefering the digital version, recently i bought The Marketing Whitebook from Bookmymagazine and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Boreas

Staff member
Really? Bookmymagazine? Sounds intriguing, please tell us more!? Just give me 5 seconds, I need to go and hover my finger over the delete button ....

Right, go!
No need to hover, just delete - given his avatar name, I'm guessing he'll reincarnate anyway.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read books with great excitement. So, don't want to loose my excitement by reading more than one book at a time.
Surely reading two exciting books at the same time would result in a net increase in excitement (and therefore no excitement lost)?

Teresa Edgerton

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Almost never do I read more than one book at a time. I like to become immersed, and don't feel like I can do a book full justice if I'm distracting myself with several other books at the same time. I read quickly, though, and can sometimes finish a book in a day, so I may read several books in a week, and if they are in the same genre they may run together, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid by only reading one at a time!

Last edited:

btkong

Staff member
I Listen to multiple audiobooks at the same time. But usually, it's NOT a good sign if I pause one book to listen to another. There is a very good chance I won't go back and finish the first.

fbones24

I Listen to multiple audiobooks at the same time. But usually, it's NOT a good sign if I pause one book to listen to another. There is a very good chance I won't go back and finish the first.
This. I find that when I start a second fantasy/sci-fi book while reading another, I will not go back to the book I was reading. This happened recently where I was reading and thoroughly enjoying "The Narrator." I started reading Steel Blood and Fire and have now read three books and not gone back to "The Narrator."

With that said, I usually have one book I'm reading and one audio book I'm listening to at the same time. These do not seem to conflict for me at all.