Do you read more than one book at a time?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
At what point do you not consider yourself to be reading the first book any longer?

Last summer I got Peter Orullian's Trial of Intentions from the publisher. I moved to a new house in July, about halfway through, and that book is still sitting on the dining room floor where I put it when I moved in. (I think I am not a fan of that series.)

ETA: I have read a lot of other books since then.

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
No. Once I start a novel and I'm into it I have no interest in reading anything else till I finish. I don't even stop within a series to go to other books if I can help it.

Theophania

Journeyed there and back again
For me, it depends. I burned through Blood of the Earth in a couple of sittings, so effectively I was reading just that - having abandoned other books in its favour. On the other hand, some books don't grab me as much, so I end up picking them up and putting them down. And, of course, if I'm not reading in English I tend to read in fits and starts, because my language skills aren't good enough to make it anything other than heavy going! So I usually have a couple of books on the go.

Tanniel

Journeyed there and back again
I am also in the camp of having one fiction, one non-fiction going on at the same time. So depending on my mood (do I want to read for pleasure or to get smarter), I go for one or the other.

When I was an intern at a publishing house though, I'd usually be reading 1-2 fiction books there and 1 fiction book at home as well.

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I am also in the camp of having one fiction, one non-fiction going on at the same time. So depending on my mood (do I want to read for pleasure or to get smarter), I go for one or the other.
This is an ideal situation but every time I try, I fail miserably. Like right now. The history novel I'm reading is far more interesting and engaging than the SF one. The latter doesn't stand a chance till I finish with the former one...

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
(I also hate musicals -- it bothers me that otherwise normal people suddenly break out into choreographed song-and-dance numbers.)
You should try it. It's very entertaining and you'll certainly brighten up someone's day. :woot:

I'm always reading multiple books but typically only 1 of any one genre at a time so as to not confuse the story lines.

alicia

Warded demons with Arlen
I'm always reading multiple books but typically only 1 of any one genre at a time so as to not confuse the story lines.[/QUOTE said:
I try to keep it to different genres. Fantasy in particular is hard to read more than one at once because there can be enough similarity to start confusing them.