Is Stormlight Acrhive suitable for all ages

Hameed Catel

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Hey Guys

So I've only read "The Way of Kings" and I have to say it was incredibly brilliant, i enjoyed every minute of it, there were random parts here and there that i didn't really understand but i still loved the book. I hear "Words of Radiance" has just recently come out and I'm excited to read that too.

Now it's been a while since i read the book so i honestly can't remember but I really want to know what you guys think. Is "The Way of Kings" suitable for kids as well, I mean i don't remember there being any swear words or sexual scenes... but maybe there were and i just overlooked it.

I'm only asking because i would love to give it to my little sister to read. I feel like there's a lot that can be learned from the story.

Thanks in advance
Hameed

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
I think so. It's not YA but I reckon would still be appropriate for a young adult audience if they've got strength enoug to hold up the books. I can't remember swearing - he does use the word storming as a swear word though. The is some very minor sexual references but these are very minor from what i recall and i don't remember any actual sex scenes.

Hameed Catel

I think so. It's not YA but I reckon would still be appropriate for a young adult audience if they've got strength enoug to hold up the books. I can't remember swearing - he does use the word storming as a swear word though. The is some very minor sexual references but these are very minor from what i recall and i don't remember any actual sex scenes.
Awesome! Thanks Antoxx... i figured as much but i just wanted to be sure without having to read the whole book again. By the way, what is YA?

Derk of Derkholm

"Young adult" ... sounds better than "Books for Kids" :)

Harry Potter, Bartimaeus, Eragon or Percy Jackson would fall in that category.
(Out of these four, I would actually suggest the first two. Harry Potter is more or less a no-brainer, but I found the Bartimaeus books quite funny and worth a read for grown-ups as well).

Best regards,
Andy

Hameed Catel

This book has complex political and social elements that would just fly over any kid's head. To really get the gist of magicians and the way the run England you have to be no less than 17-18 imo.
Loool you might actually have a point there Alucard, but i will also look into giving her that series as well... as i've read the bartimaeus trilogy and i have to say, it was a pretty fun read.

João Ribeiro

Sanderson usually goes out of his way to keep his writing "clean" so it would be safe on that angle. Now whether or not your sister will catch on to the story or even enjoy a 1000 page book, will depend on how younger she is and her reading habits.

Maxal

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
How old is your sister? You never mentioned... What kind of books has she read so far? I agree with most: nothing unsuitable in this book, but it is a little thick. However, an advanced young reader should be able to appreciate this as the prose is simple and the story entertaining.

Hameed Catel

How old is your sister? You never mentioned... What kind of books has she read so far? I agree with most: nothing unsuitable in this book, but it is a little thick. However, an advanced young reader should be able to appreciate this as the prose is simple and the story entertaining.
She's 13... so far she hasn't read anything so big or daunting.. i honestly don't really know the types of books she's read but i know that they were average sized lol.

João Ribeiro

She's 13... so far she hasn't read anything so big or daunting..
Why don't you try to give her the Rithmatist? Maybe it will peak her interest in Sanderson enough to go through Stormlight and it's also a really really good YA fantasy book.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
There are so many good YA books out there. Don't give her a tome like WoK. There will be too many difficult words that she can't inference the meaning, which then becomes just reading words on a page and not for meaning.

Give Rithmatist like Joao said, or others like Bartaemaus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud or Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Maxal

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
If she hasn't undertaken any books from the adult section yet, then may be the Stormlight archive is too advanced for her. The Rithmatist is a very good suggestion. I would also suggest The Hobbit. I read it at about the same age and I recalled I enjoyed it.

Hameed Catel

Rithmatist, Rithmatist, Rithmatist.... i've heared it three times now... guess it's about that time to seek it out

Thanks guys :)

João Ribeiro

Rithmatist, Rithmatist, Rithmatist.... i've heared it three times now... guess it's about that time to seek it out
The only problem you'll have is trying to take the book away from your sister to finish it yourself :D