It's January 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
I finished Path of Flames by Phil Tucker. I thought it was a great book. I guess I wasn't expecting a lot since it was an indie release but outside a few spelling mistakes and an omitted scene (one character disappears from the group - we learn about that experience but not the rest of the party) I thought it was very well written.

With human and kragh it was sort of like a World of Warcraft character set possibly (I don't really know the WoW world but the kragh resembled strong, large humans with tusks). It featured a religious based re-incarnation caste system that had a lot of implications. There are some old school monsters and demons with some magic that was not over powered imo. Overall I really enjoyed the characters, world and story. I'd give it 4.5/5.

The story itself is setting up something epic although the first book probably wouldn't be called that yet. It's a 5 book series and I'm on to book 2.
The entire series is good. I really liked it.

Khartun

Finished Deadhouse Landing. Another great book in the series. I was in a bit of a reading slump until I started this series. I'm really enjoying it.

Already started Kellanved's Reach!

rudyjuly2

I ended up buying the Trilogy to Chronicles of the Black Gate. Even though I had purchased book 1, book 2 in Canada wasn't available by Kindle but the first 3 were. So I bought them all for a total of $8.02. Unfortunately no page numbers and I hate how a trilogy purchase treats it all as one book. I finished book 2 and didn't even know I was that close. I was at 57% of the whole thing.

Book 2 is slower than book 1. It introduces new things and places. There were some twists and changes to go with some good battles. It was solid and there is more intrigue. Definitely more magic and high fantasy coming as I don't completely understand the foundation of the magic system and the creation of the world they live in. Two separate stories being written that have not merged and I wonder when that will happen. I'd give it 4/5. On to book 3!

Cyphon

Just finished up Blood of Empire by Brian McClellan.

A strong, satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and no real complaints on my part. This makes 6 books of his I have read and I have liked them all, so he will be one of those authors cemented on my list of ones whos new books I will pick up without question.

Peat

Reading The Traitor Baru Comorant by Seth Dickinson. It is borderline perfect except in one detail, and that there's so much going on I have to read slow and so much tension I want to read fast to find out, and basically that's tearing me apart.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I've finished the last 2 books in Bakker's Aspect Emperor quartet (follow up to the Prince of Nothing trilogy). Although I thought the books were decent, they were nowhere near as good as the first trilogy. Also, the last two books devolved into ridiculousness at times, with entire sections devolving into overt violence and sex. I'm the furthest thing from a prude, but at a point I was really exasperated by the violence/sex for the sake of creating a shock effect. It quickly lost it's power to shock and became quite tedious.

Now I've started on Rutger Bergman's 'De Meeste Mensen Deugen' (translated: most people are decent). It's a book about how the negative worldview a lot of people have and that is cultivated by the media has no basis in reality. Rutger has become quite the celebrity in Europe and the States when he went on US national tv to get into heated discussions about corporate taxation, the 4 day work weer and other topics. Although I don't always agree with his views, this books makes a lot of sense and is backed up by a variety of scientific papers. I'm intrigued!