Magical Realism

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I like Gaiman, Robertson Davies but all are good. I have not any specific reason for selection these two . I am a shoopkeeper and I have huge collection of Oswaal Books. If you need I Contact me.
Wait, what, just a minute ago you said you were a student...

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Wait, what, just a minute ago you said you were a student...

No no.wait. Do not listen to sneaky burrito I have been looking all over for Oswaal books!!! Somebody gave me a copy of one once. Please contact me. I want to discuss ordering a bunch (approximately 286) for xmas gifts to employees of my large company. We can discuss things like little discounts. I am super excited about this and I hope you are too. Yes indeed. I truly hope you are. Let's have some discussions and set this thing up. I think a lot of people don't really know about Oswaal books. They know lots but are not as well read as I. Lets talk! I cant wait to hear from you.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
We're just joking around. Where are you from?

jo zebedee

Awkward.... for newbies, we don't know what's going on, guys. We can't tell if it's some in-house teasing, or serious, or... you know, what to say.

In terms of the OP, I got a nice new copy of Zafon's Prince of Mists as a gift last week, and am looking forward to it. :)

Darth Tater

Awkward.... for newbies, we don't know what's going on, guys. We can't tell if it's some in-house teasing, or serious, or... you know, what to say.

In terms of the OP, I got a nice new copy of Zafon's Prince of Mists as a gift last week, and am looking forward to it. :)

Not really. When they come in and on their second post they start trying to sell something you have a good idea why they knocked on your door. I live in Idaho. I am used to slamming doors in people's faces. I have a no solicitors sign up. Yet they come to my door anyhow. I say which were did you not understand? No? Or solicitors? They say we are here to talk about religion. I say you are soliciting your religion. Then their mouths move and nothing comes out. *slam*. They finally got the idea. Once I invited them in and said that I will listen to an hour of yours if you will listen to an hour of mine first. I see. no? Well OK". *slam* . Or sometimes "if I wanted to look for something I would do that. Don't try to force-feed meyour crap". *slam*. Yes, I think we do know what to do.

In all honesty the right thing to do with trolls is to simply ignore them. But it is so much more fun the other way!

Darth Tater

I got that - it's the to and fro between established members that it's hard to get the nuance of when you're new.

To be honest, I am not sure anybody gets MY "to" or my "fro". At any rate, as for me, I'm not exactly an "established member". It just may seem that way because I go out of my way sometimes to use my obnoxious card . ;)

moonspawn

I started reading One Hundred Years of Solitude the other day. This is my second try into magical realism. So far it's interesting and mysterious. There's a mysterious town in the middle of nowhere and we don't really have any sense of where exactly it is located so it seems right up my alley.

The Reason I'm Reading it: Because it's considered one of the greatest novel's of all time by literary critics. I also felt an inkling to read more magical realism.

Why Should You Read it: Because it's considered one of the greatest novel of all time by literary critics and it's frequently mentioned on lists of books you need to read before you die!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I started reading One Hundred Years of Solitude the other day. This is my second try into magical realism. So far it's interesting and mysterious. There's a mysterious town in the middle of nowhere and we don't really have any sense of where exactly it is located so it seems right up my alley.
Loved it in high school. Went back and re-read a few years ago and still loved it, but damn, is it about the most depressing book I've read on so many levels.

ofer

@moonspawn (and anyone else interested in Latin America magical realism) if you liked Marquez you can also try something by Jorge Luis Borges.

I think that one of the most current well-known names in magical realism is Japan's Haruki Murakami.

moonspawn

@moonspawn (and anyone else interested in Latin America magical realism) if you liked Marquez you can also try something by Jorge Luis Borges.

I think that one of the most current well-known names in magical realism is Japan's Haruki Murakami.
I'm quietly discovering that magical realism isn't my thing. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with Jorge Luis Borges. On the one hand I love the Book of Sand and the Circular Ruins and think those are two of the greatest stories ever and then on the other hand I hate some of his stuff. As for One Hundred Years of Solitude I liked it well enough at first but right now it's becoming increasingly more and more boring to me. There are a lot of things I don't like about it but ultimately my dislike stems from the style which I find to be way too dry for my tastes.

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I'm quietly discovering that magical realism isn't my thing. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with Jorge Luis Borges
I have read most of García Marquez's books and The Aleph by Borges. Loved them at the time. García's departure from the established realism really trapped me as well as his extraordinary command of the language. However, that was about 15 or maybe 18 years ago. As @Sneaky Burrito said, it isn't your "pick-me-up-I'm-depressed" type of book. I wouldn't re-read them now. I know I am well past that mood, which allowed me to connect with Magic Realism.
Another point to take into account is the quality of the translations. Nowadays, one has to watch out which editorials are worth choosing when dealing with a translated book. I have come across truly horrendous things...

jo zebedee

Quality of translation is a huge thing. Zafon's is very, very good (the translator won an award for it, iirc) and I have no doubt that's part of why I enjoy his work so much.

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
@jo zebedee, I read Shadow of the Wind by Zafón a while ago. He is very imaginative and his narrative was intriguing. However, for the reasons I explained in my previous post, by then, I have already grown tired of this genr and I haven't read anything more by him. Enjoy his next book!;)

moonspawn

Finished One Hundred Years of Solitude the other day. Man do I feel conflicted about this book. On the one hand I really appreciated the depth to the story in the early parts of the book but for me it seemed to lack the wonder the author was trying to convey. And I'm quite sure that's because of the style the author chose. It's written in a very dry style as I said before and I don't get along well with dry styles as I tend to enjoy more lively, sumptuous, voluptuous, voluminous, ornate, and archaic styles. I love complex and in-depth books but if I don't care for the style that depth doesn't really account for much. Also after reading this (and Borges) I can say for sure that magical realism is definitely not fantasy. Almost all of the fantastical elements in this book seemed subjective to the characters in question such as ghost sightings and technology that to us may seem mundane but to the characters seems improbable and wondrous. As for Borges his work is far too intellectual to be considered fantasy.